Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A few SR questions.

Go down 
+6
theboy
93sapphirecoupe
s13.240sx
Flicktitty
240sxguy
speed_demon
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
speed_demon

A few SR questions.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 am

Coil pack cover might be possible for me to do, depends on what kind of temps the resin would see.

B pillar trim would be possible, sunroof glass would be difficult though.

A flat or contoured panel for the dash? A radio delete panel is child's play, anything else would require a shaped mold and be more time intensive.

Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:26 pm

as long as you built in some vents i don't think the temp would get too high on the CP cover....i mean the oem one is plastic... so eh, i think the resin would be able to stand up to the heat. do they make high temp resins though?

as far as the dash panel, it would be contoured. i would probably mock something up out of some aluminum sheet though first. i don't know. i am real hesitant with drilling holes in my dash just yet or cutting a hole in it. something i need to figure out.

you think a CF shifter trim thing would would be doable? i'd be willing to donate one for you to make a mold out of.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Chuck Titek makes a CF valve cover for the SR. So they are doable for sure.

CF Dildo?
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm

they make a valve cover? i've seen coil pack covers before....but...ehh...i don't wanna pay 80 bucks for one.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 6:34 am

I know CF valve covers have been made before, but I don't know the limits of the west systems resin that I personally use. High temp resins are available but I haven't found any I can afford.

On a similar note, making a CF valve cover can be incredibly detailed and difficult to do. From what I hear on the interwebs, they typically leak and distort over time. A common composite unit is much more reliable for weight reduction.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:11 am

chuck_chizzle wrote:
they make a valve cover? i've seen coil pack covers before....but...ehh...i don't wanna pay 80 bucks for one.

My bad I misread that, thought it said coilpack cover. I guess I will go sit in the corner now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 am

i was only talking about a coil pack cover. lol. you said valve cover.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Double Whammy! I suck.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Mcmaster-carr has some nylon heim joints that look like just the ticket for my alt mount. Only concern is the temps that the alt sees. They're good to 175F, and if that isn't going to work they do have aluminum ones as well.

God do I love MMC.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm

get the aluminum ones. I used to used the nylon ones at my old job. Nothing but problems and warrantee claims for anything that applied torque to them. Dont believe the heat rating either. They fail faster than 175 deg. The nylon may melt at 175 but it gets hella squishy way before.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I was leaning towards the aluminum units for durability. Seems this was a good thought after all.

I'm not too happy that MMC doesn't offer aluminum hardware in metric sizes. They do have the plastic stuff in metric though, so I'm not totally out of luck.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

A few SR questions.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3