Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions about timing chain slack and alignment

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Questions about timing chain slack and alignment Empty
PostSubject: Questions about timing chain slack and alignment   Questions about timing chain slack and alignment EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 am

okay so i take my valve cover off today to reseal the front cover and all that stuff and take off the other timing chain guide to find alot of slack in the upper timing chain.. is this normal i know when the motors running the tensioner tightens it up abit.. im going to remove the tensioner and clean out the oil passages on it aswell.. also how come my gold link isnt lined up to the dot on the sprocket? something i should worry about? the motor is at TDC and the cyl 1 cams are facing outwards... and arnt i supposed to have two gold links? lol

heres some pics...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: Questions about timing chain slack and alignment   Questions about timing chain slack and alignment EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

The gold links are for installing a new chain on the sprockets. After it runs they very rarely line up again. As far as the slack, I'd just check the guides for grooves or other abnormal cracks. It might be normal.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

PostSubject: Re: Questions about timing chain slack and alignment   Questions about timing chain slack and alignment EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 am

now that i actually think that makes sense lol. and yea the slack tightens up when you turn the crank im going to check to see is the tensioner has full movement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Questions about timing chain slack and alignment   Questions about timing chain slack and alignment EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Just make sure the tensioner is not at its full stroke or length. if it still has some room for movement it should be fine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about timing chain slack and alignment   Questions about timing chain slack and alignment Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about timing chain slack and alignment
Page 1 of 1