Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A few SR questions.

Go down 
+6
theboy
93sapphirecoupe
s13.240sx
Flicktitty
240sxguy
speed_demon
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
speed_demon

A few SR questions.  Empty
PostSubject: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Copied over from NRR.com, no responses yet on there.

So I started a V8 swap which ended up giving me tons of headaches, and after most of a year I was still trying to get it up and running. I decided to revisit the swap later.

Because I need to get my 240 mobile very shortly or I am going to be out of luck, I am looking into dropping in a basic SR.

From searching around I know some of the basics for the swap.

What do people typically run for a bypass valve (Bosch?), and how do you typically tie this into the intercooler piping? Not looking to run a BOV for noise reasons.

Can anybody recommend me a good budget FMIC intercooler setup?

I have a newer stock replacement cat back exhaust, what exhaust parts am I going to need to purchase yet for the swap? (I assume a turbo elbow, down pipe, and test pipe)
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 pm

If you really "just need it running" you should just stick another KA in there IMO and finish the V8 swap later. What issues were you having?
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Too many issues. It's a long story.

V8 is 4-6 years out bud. The engine I drop in now is staying for a while.

I am looking into the KADE that's listed on here as well.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:53 pm

the SR theme wouldn't be a bad idea cause that would go with your general want to do something "LIGHT" your list of needs is pretty well said already, I would (on budget reasons) look into a "godspeed" style intercooler kit or a ISIS kit cause both seem to work well sub >400whp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:55 pm

ISIS intercooler kit fits nice and looks OK. Don't plan on a cheap SR swap though. I tried that and after over 5K it was finally running.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Anybody here ever pick up a KA on their own? affraid

I cringe at the thought of a cast iron motor in my "superlight" project car.

But if it's going to be the best option, then so be it.

I can wrangle up enough cash if needed for a stock SR with the basic things needed to get it up and running.

If I go FI I want to stay away from a blow off valve in keeping with my sleeper status. BPV is ideal.

If I go SR I am going to need a KA speedo sensor and a DOHC cluster.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 pm

I have these parts picked out so far for an SR swap. This isn't final...No orders have been placed.

Hoses for the new KA radiator I bought for the V8 swap.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a problem with any cast iron parts on my cars. You ever hold a cast iron 4 cyl exhaust manifold?

My clutch line ended up being damaged..

Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

i have a stock elbow if you want one. make an offer.

fuck the bosch bpv. those things are crap. get the FORGE one that replaces the bosch part. those are actually pretty decent. you can just weld two pieces of pipe to the intercooler pipes and run hose between the bpv. pretty simple to install.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 am

I have a forge BPV on my RB25DET and it's a great piece!

Good luck with the car OP.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 2:34 am

Where are most guys buying their engines from?

I see some nice pullouts on ebay. Some of the sellers have lots of great feedback, so that's a plus.

Was looking at this one in particular. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

That elbow sucks, it will show up warped so youll be taking both flanges to a belt sander to get them flat cause its stainless and royal bitch to grind. They picure oh so well to block the fact that youll barely be able to get to the bolt on the underside of it. Which youll have to massage the stainless so you can get a bolt in it. Dont even bother trying to use a stud for that hole. That cross hose ok, but is going to suck when you need to do anything to the front of the motor. With a nice sr radiator and cheap hose youll can do a timing chain without pulling the radiator (with electric fans). Downpipe is fine tho. Other than the exhaust stuff all youll need id ka24de power steering lines, or just by a front clip and then you get sr lines and a side mount intercooler. Im not going to knock the cheapo ebay special intercoolers because they work pretty damn well up to 400. Just replace the hot pipe with something respectable.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:04 pm

oh and you dont have to run a bov or bypass valve on sr. Lots of people run without them with no problems. IF you do, just go with a bov and recirculate it back into the turbo intake. Done and you wont hear it. Dont go SSQV bov if you want quiet.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 pm

theboy wrote:
oh and you dont have to run a bov or bypass valve on sr. Lots of people run without them with no problems. IF you do, just go with a bov and recirculate it back into the turbo intake. Done and you wont hear it. Dont go SSQV bov if you want quiet.

I have SSQV recirculated. it isn't that loud unless under full boost. Which if you are going stealth by the time the turbo hits they are going to realize that you are not sock. So a little whoosh isn't going to matter.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Wow, you really crammed a lot of info in there. Power steering? Nah.

And for the turbo elbow, I am mainly interested in it due to weight reduction. Can you recommend a better elbow?
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Tomei or Greddy You get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 pm

out of person experience, i bought the emusa (emotor) piece of shit and had the fitment issues i told you about previous so i tried the isis and had the same issues. They seemed to be identical. Isis had fatter flanges but sucked everywhere else. Ended buying the tomei elbow, but the wait for it was killing me so i modified the emusa one and it bolted. No clearances issues. the tomei elbow is a very nice piece, but get their expreme manifold to go with it other wise it sits too far forward. Id say i would sell you mine but both the tomei and isis elbows are long gone.

Never tried the greddy elbow, but ive seen it. For price of one, youd think it would be nicer. Wasnt that impressed. Style was like the isis/emusa but didnt seem to have clearance issues. Comes close to the steering shaft tho.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

one other thing:

idk what size your exhaust is, but i hope its at least 2.5". s13 sr's with a t25 or t28 like 3" tubing. A t25 will be fine on 2.5" tho. Sr's don like back pressure, so 3" is ideal.
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 pm

like I've said before. if you are running lots of caster, kpi and sticky wide tires you are going to regret not having power steering. (if you plan to turn anyways)

i have the "trust" elbow. had it on my car for 4 years now. no issues what so ever. pretty decent piece.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm

speed_demon wrote:
Power steering? Nah.

You'll regret saying that.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:44 pm

600SX wrote:
speed_demon wrote:
Power steering? Nah.

Maybe he has big muscular fore arms and is a human jack.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

600SX wrote:
speed_demon wrote:
Power steering? Nah.

I am aware of the pros and cons of this setup.

I intend to have a depowered rack as well as a back up standard P/S rack.

Less clutter in the engine bay, less weight, less complexity, one less thing to leak, the list goes on.

The boy, the picture to the left is of me. I'm far from small...

Last edited by speed_demon on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Not smart, trust me. The extra 7 lbs is worth it.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Hmm.. 7 pounds, is that all?

I did consider replacing the O.E steel pulley with an aluminum one and leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 pm

speed_demon wrote:
Hmm.. 7 pounds, is that all?

I did consider replacing the O.E steel pulley with an aluminum one and leave it at that.

Just a guess, don't quote me.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Are you looking for just the wieght of the pump and pulley and bracket. I have one in my basement I will go wiegh it and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few SR questions.    A few SR questions.  Empty

Back to top Go down

A few SR questions.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next