Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mattchow88
mattchow88

sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  Empty
PostSubject: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 pm

first of all i have no rear interior and my exhaust stops at the downpipe so that might not help the situation. Im new to turbo import engines. Im a powersports guy and To me it smells like a atv or motorcycle with the choke on. Smells rich all the time. in the mornings i let it warm up for about 2 minutes. and when i go to take off from a stop i have to feather the clutch and almost floor it cuz it bogs so bad untill about 3000-3500 (also in evening when i leave work). but after i drive it for a while and the engine temp rises it doesnt do it. if anyone is in the oshkosh/appleton area ill let you drive it to tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mattchow88
nismodave
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm

A very common problem on the SR....I have a good tune and brand new IACV, and it still is crap cold....

What is your setup as far as engine management? What MAF are you running? Your IACV might need adjusting to help it.....Or adjusting your Super-AFC if you are running one.....But even then its no gaurantee to fix it.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Could be as simple as a coolant temp sender...
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I agree with 600sx. When I did my swap it ran terrible for the first 2 months. I replaced all of the sensors, coolant temp, O2, and the knock sensor. Then it finally went away. I also learned that when it is cold out if I let it Idle when the engine is cold for a few minutes before I go anywhere it runs much better. The ECU has a built in safety mode so that you don't push it to hard on a cold engine. Cold, thick oil and turbos don't get along very well.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I will say there is a quick way to check if the knock Sensor is failing Which cause a stumble like this. All you need to do is go to radio shack and buy a pack of 1Meg ohm resistors. Solder a bit of wire on each end of it, and put a small spade connector on those wires. Disconnect the connector for your knock sensor and plug the (bypass) intpo the ECU side of the connector. Take your car for an easy ride and see how it runs. If the it is better then either you have an engie knock, or a bad sensor which commonly go out on these engines. Especially one that have been bounced around in shipping crates.
Back to top Go down
nismodave
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 am

Or just repace the knock sensor.

I dont think thats his issue though.
Back to top Go down
mattchow88
mattchow88

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I believe its a stock ecu and stock Maf, I do have a apexi turbo timer that shows O2 voltage, ive been tryig to moniter that while driving to see how it runs compared to voltage, manual says near 1v is rich and 0.1v is lean, well the readings i get are anywhere from 2-5V rich??? (AGAIN i have only a down pipe then nothing else for exhaust) which might affect the reading, I would think it would give a leaner reading from my expierience but i dont know, I also could use a Gas Analyser but im not sure what readings should be for sr20. Ive only ran 2 1/2 tanks through the car since i got it, 1st tank i got 23mpg second 21mpg most Hwy at 3k rpm, with some random parkin lot drifting. is that sound normal?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mattchow88
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 6:15 am

The O2 voltage is just an effect, and I don't know if I'd trust a turbo timer for that kinda data. Unplug the MAF and see if it runs better. Also, how far is the O2 from the end of the downpipe?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold    sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold  Empty

Back to top Go down

sr20det smells really rich bogs when cold
Page 1 of 1