Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Knock sensor wires?? sr20det

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mattchow88
mattchow88

Knock sensor wires?? sr20det Empty
PostSubject: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Does anyone know how the wiring is for the knock sensor, i was looking at mine and the harness plug has 2 wires (white and a black) that go into some wrap of white tape then comes out with one covered black wire that goes to a wrap of white tape with a bare wire tail sticking out (which was wrapped in electrical tape not going to anything ) and then a single white wire goes to the knock sensor which looks like its only ever had 1 wire in it even though the sensor itself has 2 spades. That whole section of harness was inside a piece of convelated tubing.

the manual shows 2 wires coming from harness then a dotted line around them then its just 1 going to sensor.
Is the bare wire supposed to be grounded??

Harness plug>[=}======(white tape)----------------(white tape with bare wire coming out)-------------{=]Knock sensor

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mattchow88
mattchow88
mattchow88

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Is the tail just the end of the shielded wire which is connected to the black wire on the other end and just grounded? It would make sense that way its just weird that they didnt cut it off?
Back to top Go down
nismodave
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 pm

The second wire is a shield that must be left unconnected at the sensor end and grounded at the ecu end.
Back to top Go down
Secret Squirrel
Secret Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

its a shielded signal wire. the knock sensor is 1 wire piezoelectric that is sensitive to outside electromagnetic interference. to protect the signal, and wire is ran with the signal wire to protect and absorb electromagnetic interference.

Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Secret Squirrel wrote:
its a shielded signal wire. the knock sensor is 1 wire piezoelectric that is sensitive to outside electromagnetic interference. to protect the signal, and wire is ran with the signal wire to protect and absorb electromagnetic interference.

YEP!
Back to top Go down
mattchow88
mattchow88

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 pm

why is it only shielded for 4 inches and not all the way to ecu?
Back to top Go down
Secret Squirrel
Secret Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 pm

it apears it is all the way back....the connector at the end of the sensor pigtail has 2 wires goin into it...one of which is the shielding wire one of which is the signal wire.

usually they are wrapped alittle neater then yours but, if your worried about it, just re-wrap the wire.

I have no knock sensor on my motor. I have ears, i know what my motor blowing up sounds like.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knock sensor wires?? sr20det   Knock sensor wires?? sr20det Empty

Back to top Go down

Knock sensor wires?? sr20det
Page 1 of 1