Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

welded diff wining

Go down 
+4
Secret Squirrel
chuck_chizzle
Flicktitty
kouki_chee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey guys just installed my welded diff.... It seems fine but it wines when the car is in motion... Is this normal or no??? It sounds like hhhhhhhvvvvvvvvvvvvvmmmmmmmmm... Lol like something back there could use some lub
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 pm

i think welded diffs usually make goofy noises. It's been years since i have been in one. did you put fluid in it? LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 am

is it like a bearing whine?
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm

flick- yeah i added fluid and does it only make noises when turning or all the time???

Chuck- idk u can hear it as soon as the car starts moving.... The faster the wheel spins the humming gets faster too if that makes any sense to u... Lol
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 pm

sounds bearing like. i've never been in a welded diff car tho.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Lol kk
Back to top Go down
Secret Squirrel
Secret Squirrel

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 pm

did u remove ur diff and have it welded or buy one that some jackbag welded.

could be carrier bearings, or if they took out the carrier to weld it its possible that the piniion depth/preload/backspacing is all jacked causing bearing failure or gear whine.

we had a beater with a welded...only noises were the sounds of tires. make sure its notthe midshaft bearing, possible it was damaged when u installed the diff.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I bought the diff and had it welded... I also relooked at everything earlier but will check again when it stops raining...
Back to top Go down
Secret Squirrel
Secret Squirrel

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:22 pm

kouki_chee wrote:
I bought the diff and had it welded... I also relooked at everything earlier but will check again when it stops raining...

i would suspect pre-exsisting damage/wear to differential.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Ok... Well i guess its a good thing i still have my old one to weld up... Would the gear oil matter??? Im running 75w90... Read it somewhere online it should be fine....
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin
Lizmo

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:58 pm

VLSD > welded
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah but i read that a vlsd with a ka24de doesnt lock up great as the ka doesnt have enough power to lock it... Qoute me if im wrong
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin
Lizmo

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am

your probably right lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 am

Power has nothing to do with how a differential locks up. It is based on a difference in wheel speed. if one tire is spinning at a faster rate than the other "magic" happens with the internal components that will send more power to the slower wheel( most likely the one with the most traction) to improve your grip and acceleration. You really can't listen to half of the garbage that people put on the internet, you need to research and find hard facts so that you are more informed. If it didn't work with that engine then why did it come from the factory on the models that had HICAS?
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm

if i may add my $.02 to this thread. How did the guy you payed to weld the diff, weld it? Was it removed from the housing? Because it sounds like who ever you had weld it, welded it incorrectly. I had a noising welded when i first got my car to find out it was welded outside the housing, not heated properly, and he had the mig set on kill. Needless to say, i guarantee your shit is warped just like mine which is going to kill your bearings, then the entire diff. Pull it and start looking for an LSD not a VLSD. VLSD's are garbage and dont lock up for ka's because they are garbage. They dont lock up worth a damn for anything for that matter.

Last edited by theboy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm

all of the viscus diffs ive ever been around have ended up not working properly or just get completely worn out all together. unless you are planning to drift every day i wouldnt drive around with a welded diff every day. just save up the cash and buy a nice clutch type or helical. they are soooo much nicer in the end.

if you are flat broke though i guess its more fun with them welded. 240s with open diffs suck ass.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm

if its a daily keep the open, way less headaches, and even less shit you have to deal with breaking. Weldeds put a ton of extra wear on on half shafts, tires, and wheel bearings.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Ok thanks for correcting me... The guy i had weld to it heating it up with a torch inside the punkin for about 15-20mins then he welded the gears together.... He is a professional welder so i assume he did it right... Said it was his 4th diff... 2 others from 240sx and one for a rs... i think it might be a bearing but im gonna try to find someone near with a welded to see if it sounds the same.... Hope so... If not might get my old one welded.... Lol
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

I dont really use it as a dd... I only drive it to work once in a while to make sure everything is still working... I dont plan on driving it much longer til summer hopefully when i get that qp done.... Ill probably go with something better in the future but til then these are gonna have to work.... Btw i love the added traction with a welded diff on the straight....
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 pm

You need to get a carbon fiber Driveshaft.
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm

if he can't afford a diff i am pretty sure he can't afford a cf ds.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 7:22 pm

hey who said i cant afford it??? i worked with the mex and rednecks this pass summer 12hr shift 5days a week at $8 no over time for a month and a half.... jk i only have like $6 bills left lol but no i dont need one, id rather spend that into getting that rear qp i need bad...

Last edited by kouki_chee on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee
kouki_chee

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 7:29 pm

wow that was weird... posted twice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

welded diff wining Empty
PostSubject: Re: welded diff wining   welded diff wining Empty

Back to top Go down

welded diff wining
Page 1 of 1