Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice

Go down 
+2
600SX
Jsteez
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jsteez
Jsteez

5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  Empty
PostSubject: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:39 am

Shocked

I just picked up some z32 brake calipers and plan on doing the whole brake swap. I know you have to miss match hubs for the 5 lug conversion. So heres my question...

1) What kind of conversion kit would you recommend instead of trying to piece z32 parts with 5 lug s14 parts?

2) Are hubs just hubs? (speaking in terms of quality)

I know the notorious ebay deals and parts. I was wondering if this would be something to consider.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I dont want to compensate strength for cost. If its a cheap part ill take the time and find partouts. I was just wondering an overall opinion. Beats spending 500 for ichiba front and rear hubs as well as the other vendors on zilvia. Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:58 am

Moved this for you!
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:04 pm

my bad, gracias! cheers
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

I've never heard of contano before, but it might be alright.
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 12:43 pm

yea for $300 front and rears it wouldnt be bad. If there not structurally sound for track abuse ill stay away from them
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm

i would say buy oem rears since they bolt right in. then maybe get the ichiba fronts. idk my ichiba wheel bearings have some play in them after 1 year. no noise just a little play. so its kind of a toss up.
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I run OEM Z32 rears, only run those, period, end of story.

S14 5 lug rear rotors work fine with stock (S13) rear calipers.

I run Ichiba front hubs for the sake of my sanity. I have already toasted both front Ichiba bearings, but I bought new OEM bearings and pressed them in. Now they are perfect. Ichiba bearings suck the mad ball sack, but you only have to replace them once, and it takes roughly a year to ruin them.

All bearings are not the same, depending on what company made them and country of origin, you shall recieve that quality. OEM nissan bearings are roughly $80 each and made in Japan. NKG or whatever is a japanese company that makes great bearings. Rockauto.com sells them for 60ish each.

I track my Ichiba's almost every weekend. I track them, and track them HARD! They have held up fine hardware wise minus the bearings. I would recommend them for sure for the sake of not having to buy all the BS to do a full on S14 front end conversion.

For front rotors, get whatever is supposed to fit the calipers, the hub center bore/bolt pattern will fit the ichibas no matter what.

Iron and AL Z32's are also require different rotors in diameter (slightly).

If you get the AL ones I'll kill you. I want those.

Need new front brake lines, SS braided teflon coated. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for a quality set.

May need appropriate Z32 master as well depending on how you like your brake pedal to feel. I have yet to do mine, but I hate how it feels. I used to think it was ok, but after a few events I am not digging the stock BMC feel on the Z32s. Its just wrong.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I just got done with this swap so its all fresh.
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks a bunch for the input! Ill def keepin lookin on craigslist for a z32 part out for the hubs and prolly end up goin with a ichiba front conversion.

Ian- hate to tell ya but I was able to pick up my z32 calipers off a parted out tt. 30mm AL calipers. Got all 4 brake calipers and master cylinder for real cheap. Just had to remove them from the car. Its too bad the tt hubs dont fit! im hoping to be able to pick up the ebrake cable as well. I will be going with a SS braided line and ill keep in mind about the sub par wheel bearing. THANK YOU!!

pjmonkey
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:14 pm

COMPLETE.

BS.

Ha. I wish I had the AL ones, coulda, woulda, shoulda, though. I came across a parted out N/A Z32 so I got the rear hubs/calipers on the cheap, sucks they are FE though. Unsprung weight is a sweet weight saver.

Best of luck finding your stuff. I will keep my eyes peeled.
Back to top Go down
ohhhizzzy
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:54 pm

dont ever, ever get ichiba unless you change the bearings before you put them in the bearings suck balls and they start taking a crap after a few months. if i were you get oem s13 or s14 bearings.
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Riggle wrote:
COMPLETE.

BS.

Ha. I wish I had the AL ones, coulda, woulda, shoulda, though. I came across a parted out N/A Z32 so I got the rear hubs/calipers on the cheap, sucks they are FE though. Unsprung weight is a sweet weight saver.

Yea ill be doing alot of searching on craigs for N/a z32 partouts. I loved seein your car at the meet. Huge reason why i wanted to do the swap. So thanks for the inspiration! you have an amazing car.

ohhhizzzy wrote:
dont ever, ever get ichiba unless you change the bearings before you put them in the bearings suck balls and they start taking a crap after a few months. if i were you get oem s13 or s14 bearings.

They're really that bad?! huh. You wouldnt think that with the cost being 500 for a complete set. Thanks for the info and advice. Ill look em up on rock auto and order new ones like Ian mentioned
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:10 pm

i have heard alot of hit or miss on Itchibia stuff. which i thought was odd too.

idk if you can find them. but GTO used to make hubs that were good quality but that was years ago. idk how that name got into my head again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
ohhhizzzy
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:40 pm

so far on my 3, 5 lug swaps that i got from ichiba all the bearings took a crap. so did the studs they are pretty week too. 2 snap when i was at the drift event in rockford an i drove home with only 2 wheel studs holding my wheels. and 6 days later all the front ones snaped so i bought arp studs and those things are awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:50 am

ohhhizzzy wrote:
so far on my 3, 5 lug swaps that i got from ichiba all the bearings took a crap. so did the studs they are pretty week too. 2 snap when i was at the drift event in rockford an i drove home with only 2 wheel studs holding my wheels. and 6 days later all the front ones snaped so i bought arp studs and those things are awesome.

Lol then your going to like this post/sale thread on zilvia

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

oem wheel bearing and a stronger hub as the description says affraid
Back to top Go down
ohhhizzzy
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:54 am

haha thats funny so i guess i wasnt the only one breaking shit
Back to top Go down
Jsteez
Jsteez

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:58 am

that was as of 07 tho. so i dont know if they changed their product to make it more cost efficent. Just thought it was interesting finding that
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Jsteez wrote:
Riggle wrote:
COMPLETE.

BS.

Yea ill be doing alot of searching on craigs for N/a z32 partouts. I loved seein your car at the meet. Huge reason why i wanted to do the swap. So thanks for the inspiration! you have an amazing car.

ohhhizzzy wrote:

They're really that bad?! huh. You wouldnt think that with the cost being 500 for a complete set. Thanks for the info and advice. Ill look em up on rock auto and order new ones like Ian mentioned

Thanks for the kind words man, really appreciate it. Your car will be equally as nice, such a good candidate. Going to be fun watching it transform!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice    5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

5 lug Home brehs! Need some advice
Page 1 of 1