Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to Forum, need advice for S13.

Go down 
+2
s13.240sx
stglephti
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stglephti
Be nice, I'm new

New to Forum, need advice for S13. Empty
PostSubject: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey guys. Obviously I'm new to the WI 240 forum, but not to the scene. This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance.

I bought a 91 hatchback in January and have been using the search button ever since. I should have done a little more searching before buying but I got a little over zealous. Car has 203,000 miles on the body, engine has been swapped for another KA24DE motor, but the swap was not done well at all. Being a mechanic, I should have thought a little more and drooled a little less when I bought it, but I didn't. For example, vacuum lines plugged with bolts, wiring harness cobbled together, wiring under dash is spliced with those twist connectors for residential wiring. The biggest issue has been the fact that the plug for the #1 cylinder was stripped out and does not tighten. I can put a heli-coil in but haven't had time (Mechanic's car is always the last to get worked on). So, the engine misses at idle, runs rich, backfires slightly from exhaust, and generally runs poorly, specifically at idle. Also leaks gear oil like a sieve from the tranny. Thats the bad. The good is: motor has 150-155 psi compression on all cylinders, there is minimal rust on the body, and the interior is pretty clean.

Finally, getting to the question(s). I have done hours upon hours of research and clicked the search button hundreds, maybe thousands, of times in the past few months. The only problem is, everyone** has a different opinion about everything**. confused I am planning on doing all the body work, priming, and sealing one panel at a time (the car is my daily driver). Once everything is primed and sealed, I will be doing a full re-color. Not sure what color yet, any input is welcomed.

At the same time, I want to do an SR20DET swap. I thought about doing a KA-T, but everything I've read says to go the SR20 route. Again, any input about this is welcome. As of now, I'm looking for an SR20 swap. I would like to find one locally to avoid the expensive shipping cost. I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere in WI or MN to get it though. But, I need the full swap (motor, trans, ecu, wiring harness, etc). I don't want to try to piece it together. I can do the swap myself. From what I understand, I will need a smaller radiator, and probably, a front mount intercooler. This is really where I need some advice. . .who has one or where can I get one?

As a college student, obviously I don't have a money tree in my backyard, but I realize the importance of doing this right the first time. I also have planned for the build to take a while. The only definitive requirements are that the car has to be VERY reliable and it has to be done right without spending a fortune.

For those that done want to read all my ramblings, here's a summary:

- SR20DET Complete Swap, where can I get one? Preferably, locally and with a decent price tag.
- Anything else I need for the swap besides a radiator and FMIC?
- Exterior color? I thought about black (hard to take care of) or blue (I'll call it royal or cobalt?).
- Body repair, do I fix the rust on the rocker panel seams and try to do some reforming on the bumpers, or find a body kit and be done with it?
- What order should I do the build in? Example, body, pull motor, paint engine bay, swap motor, finish body...or some other way?

Again, I apologize for writing a novel, but this is months of thoughts I've had and continuous confusion from using the search button. But hey, thanks for reading and for any advice in advance. If anyone is in the Menomonie/Eau Claire area, and is dumb enough, I mean generous enough, to take a look at what I'm working with and maybe help me out or give me some first hand advice, you wouldn't have to twist my arm.

Thanks again, guys! Hopefully I can get some things cleared up so I can stop obsessing and just start the project.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 pm

I would start by making sure the body, brakes and suspension are in order first. If you just cover up rust with a kit it will eventually rot out everything, rust is like cancer. As far as the swap goes, there are LOTS of more things you will need to complete the swap, and a cheap one hell no. Mine ran me at least $6K(stopped counting at this point) with engine and supporting pieces. I did not get cheap parts though. I highly recommend that you do more research, the swap has been covered 100's of times online. Check out NICO club. And since the recent Earthquake/tsunami in Japan, it seems as though the engines are disappearing and the ones you can find have doubled in price from 6 months ago. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, i don't want to sound bland. but ALOT of this stuff is 100% up to you do to this being YOUR CAR, and it's YOUR choice what you want to do to it.

The SR20DET is a GREAT motor. 200+ HP Stock. getting pretty easy to find parts, thousands of people have done this so all of the guess work has been taken care of.

the KA-T idea is another VERY good idea, can't argue with the more displacement, everyone will have there opinion on this. i would look more into each setup and then make your choice on what you want.

as far as other things you will need/want. You should do a larger exhaust with a turbo motor 3". Intercooler, you will need a Walbro 255 or aftermarket fuel pump, new fuel filter, as well as alot of other little things that will add up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Also you just said your car has 200k + Miles. don't forget all the things that should be replaced with any car with that many miles. Bushings/springs/shocks/etc. you can do all the motor work you want but if the car rides liek a school bus you'll be pissed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Well put Flick.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin
Lizmo

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm

do what you want first... do you want the car to look nice? or go somewhere?
and dont just cover the rust w/ a body kit, it will just come through and make things worse once you want to fix it.
as for the sr20 i have no idea about those motors...
replacing all the bushings is a MUST! it makes the car feel so much nicer and handle better.
take your time and dont buy all junk ebay stuff, so you don't need to replace those things ina year.
good luck!
alot of ppl on here are very knowledgable so feel free to ask as many questions as need be.
we got a big variety of swapped cars here...
all of the major ones (sr, rb, 2jz, ls2)EXCEPT a ca18, i dont know if theres anyone on here w/ one of those?
so one of us will be able to help! hah.
enjoy your stay!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
ohhhizzzy
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 am

I only know vvtttaacckk ( vtec). and jdm tyteness. and enjoy your stay.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin
Lizmo

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am

vtec = ftw
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
mattchow88
mattchow88

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I bought my 240 last year w/the sr20 in it. The only downfall is you have to get everything online. you cant just go to your local dealer or auto store for most parts. I've found and bought 99% of my parts from Enjukuracing.com they are real knowledgable and pretty easy to work with. If i would have started with no engine, I would go with an Ls, that way you can make the same power but on a stock reliable engine. Also enjuku has just about everything you need to put it in the s chassis!

This guy says he's got a spare engine and other parts, http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2347830499.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mattchow88
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum, need advice for S13.   New to Forum, need advice for S13. Empty

Back to top Go down

New to Forum, need advice for S13.
Page 1 of 1