Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)

Go down 
+10
speed_demon
ujsp
nick z
s13.240sx
240sxguy
Flicktitty
Qfabbed
600SX
chuck_chizzle
Aco SX
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aco SX
Aco SX

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Empty
PostSubject: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 am

Hey guys, I'm Alex. I posted my intro a while ago, but I've been really busy and haven't been on here for a while. I live in Milwaukee and drive a maroon '93 Fastback that I've just been doing a few things to. I have big plans for it, but that's gonna have to wait a few years. So yeah, I'll show you some of the things that I'm gonna be working on. I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment and will be for a while. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

So to start off with my first problem, when I turn on my high beams, all of my lights go out (headlights, taillights, and dash lights). My guess is that I have a short somewhere or someone messed with the wiring and screwed something up. I looked under the dash by the driver side fuse panel and this is what I found... scratch

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1712

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1710

I downloaded the S13 Factory Service Manual and I'm gonna try to tackle it and see what's all going on there. I have some experience with wiring, but mostly with simple things. I think I'm gonna need some help with this...

Oh yeah, and check out my sweet lift kit, BRO!

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1713

Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:39 am

yikes...looks like "fun." another cherry red pearl car that makes me miss my old one.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 am

I also constantly had water leaking into my trunk/spare tire area, so I looked around online and saw that someone went to Nissan about it and they said the seal around the rear taillights goes out after about 8 years, and to replace it with some Butyl Film. I ordered some from NAPA yesterday and it should be in tomorrow. So to give you guys an idea of what it looks like

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1714
And that's only very minor surface rust by the way

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1715

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1716

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1717

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1718

chuck_chizzle: Thanks. And yeah, I know I'm gonna enjoy working on my car, just not sure the wiring will be so "fun" haha.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 10:49 am

Looks good. Wiring is easy, you just need to take your time, and have the fsm in front of you.
Back to top Go down
Qfabbed
Qfabbed

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 am

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/91-94

There is your FSM bud. You'll want to look under EL, and then HEADLAMP. I would assume someone tried to do some kind of funny sleepy eye mod or something. Could also be some lame aftermarket security system install....I have way too much experience with the S13 body harness and will help however I can.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 am

Sup Alex/Aco shouldn't be too hard of an electrical issue once you start reading stuff more and learning it starts slowly coming to you....sometimes. LMK if ya need a hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 am

I would start by checking the ground circuit. That mess may be from an aftermarket alarm that was installed there at one point.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:30 pm

I bet there was a Flux Capacitor in the car, might still be don't go over 88 MPH you might end up back in time. sarcasm sign

Wiring is fun, take your time with it and it will get resolved.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:12 pm

600SX wrote:
Looks good. Wiring is easy, you just need to take your time, and have the fsm in front of you.
Thanks for the advice.

Qfabbed wrote:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/91-94

There is your FSM bud. You'll want to look under EL, and then HEADLAMP. I would assume someone tried to do some kind of funny sleepy eye mod or something. Could also be some lame aftermarket security system install....I have way too much experience with the S13 body harness and will help however I can.
Thanks. My school was switching printer systems this week, so I had unlimited prints. Printed Full FSM = WIN! cheers

Flicktitty wrote:
Sup Alex/Aco shouldn't be too hard of an electrical issue once you start reading stuff more and learning it starts slowly coming to you....sometimes. LMK if ya need a hand.
Thanks Nick, I hope it will start coming to me. And thanks, I will let you know if I need a hand.

240sxguy wrote:
I would start by checking the ground circuit. That mess may be from an aftermarket alarm that was installed there at one point.
Thanks for the advice.

s13.240sx wrote:
I bet there was a Flux Capacitor in the car, might still be don't go over 88 MPH you might end up back in time. sarcasm sign

Wiring is fun, take your time with it and it will get resolved.
Damn, I must've already traveled back in time about 100 times without even realizing... cyclops
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:31 pm

I've been up to a few other tasks this week (cleaning and painting stuff) so I'll hopefully get pictures of all that up tonight. Ordered new hatch trunk shocks the other day, the broomstick just won't do anymore. And I think I found a pair of S14 seats Very Happy

I've also stripped my whole interior and am starting to clean my carpet and get it ready to dye black, as well as my floor mats, rear seat, door and trim panels, and hopefully my S14 seats. Does anybody have an opinion on Duplicolor's Vinyl & Fabric Paint? I was planning on stripping the sound deadening off and painting the whole inside with POR-15, but I decided not to because I plan to stitch-weld the whole car in a year or two, and POR-15 would be a b*tch to get off Mad

And thanks again for all the advice everyone, I'm gonna pull her in the garage tonight and tackle that wiring slowly.
Back to top Go down
nick z
nick z

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

I have a non-hacked up body harness you can have for 30. It will save you a ton of time in the end. Its out of a 92.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm

And this is the next project that should be started next year.... it's been sitting a while

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1719
'76 Mercedes-Benz 450SE, shipped in from Yugoslavia when my dad came to America in the 80's

So on to some progress, slow but steady...

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1810
The carpet after I started scrubbing one section

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1811
And this is it finished, after all the yellow, brown, black, and gooey crap was out. I think it will be good enough for the dye to bond well. Now I just gotta wait a few days and let it dry outside in the sun. I also washed my trunk carpet, floor mats, and both parts of the rear seat.

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1812

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Img_1813

And yeah, I know, the shop is a MESS lol!
Back to top Go down
ujsp
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:00 pm

That carpet turned out really well! What did you use on it and what was your procedure if you dont mind me asking?

Its amazing the difference that a clean carpet makes on the overall feel of the car.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptySun May 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks ujsp! It sure does make a difference, and it won't smell like an old wet dog anymore. Razz

I mixed one bottle of concentrated de-greaser and hot water, and then another bottle of concentrated heavy-duty interior cleaner and hot water. The hot water will make a world of difference when it comes to cleaning your carpet. I then got a small bucket and mixed in some warm water and regular car wash soap.

1) Spray down carpet with de-greaser mix

2) Spray down with HD interior cleaner mix

3) Take a wash mit and soak it in the bucket. Then rub the carpet with the mit, getting a lot of soap and water on the carpet.

4) Grab a pretty stiff carpet brush and start working your way through with longer strokes. It should foam up really good and you'll start to see the dirt lift right out.

5) Once you've gone through the carpet with the brush, doing your strokes in multiple directions, grab a hose and start to spray all of the soap out of the carpet starting at one end and working your way to the other. This will take a few minutes usually. It also works better if you have higher water pressure.

6) Vacuum all of the water out and let the carpet sit out in the sun if possible. It'll take a good day or more for it to really dry.

If the carpet is still in the car and you don't want to soak your interior with a hose, then just skip the hose down and go straight to vacuuming the soap and dirt right out.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Okay guys, I finally found some more time to get some work done on the car. It was all going good until tonight. I'm pretty much all finished with re-freshing the interior pieces, and I also removed the big bundle of wires that was by the driver side foot well. So I go to see if my car will start now, and all I hear is a little tick from the driver side, it will not crank at all. I believe it is a relay that is ticking but I am not sure. My headlights will also not turn on at all now.

Man do I hate it when people hack things up...

I've also ruled out a few things:
- the battery checked out ok
- my battery connection is good

Please, please, please help. I feel really frustrated right now and should just sleep on it, but will keep looking around for a solution all night anyway.

And as "nick z" mentioned earlier about a body harness, would it benefit to replace that and the chassis harness?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Have you checked out all of the fuses in the fuse box near the battery?

I noticed your car is a 5MT, is your clutch interlock stuff wired up right? Is your SMJ connection nice and tight? Should be a 10MM bolt.

Just noticed you are in milwaukee. If you were closer to GB I'd offer to come and help you myself.
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

It appears that it was an alarm installed previously that you removed. Did you reconnect the starter wire that is often interrupted for "starter kill" with most aftermarket alarms? It will often run to a spdt relay connected to terminals 87a and 30. I believe the wire color is black/white. Just follow it from the ignition switch.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Okay so I've done a few more things the past couple days. I went and bought myself a multimeter and am slowly learning how to use it.

Here are a few pics that I hope can help out...

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 310
I don't know what this should plug into. I believe it was always unplugged. But what bothers me is that out of that big bundle of wires I took out, the orange one was plugged into something.

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 410
I believe the one with the clear plastic around is for an option my car doesn't have. And the other one I just can't remember what it is for.

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 510
Everything seems alright with my SMJ and I even tightened it a bit for good measure.

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 610
I'm a little puzzled by this. The little metal clip that the fuse is supposed to go into is missing. Is anybody else's like this?

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 810
This is the driver side engine compartment fuse box. When I turn the key, all I hear is a single tick from the relay labeled ACC. Is this supposed to happen? And I'm assuming that the two relays that aren't there is how it's supposed to be.

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 1010

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 1110
Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 1310
Fuses are good. And again, is something missing here?

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 1410
Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) 1510
Here is the ignition switch relay by the battery. I tried jumping the relay by connecting two wires from post 3 to 5.

And I tried to test for continuity in the relay. Posts 1 & 2 had continuity, but 3 & 5 did not. But then again, maybe I did it wrong.

I was able to push-start the car today so I know that it's not the starter, and my battery is still holding a good charge.

Thanks everyone for your input so far! I hope this will give you some more clues so I can have this puppy on the road again.

Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Push starting doesn't use the starter, otherwise you seem to be on track.
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 am

THat black/white is the starter wire. It appears to have been interrupted for an alarm. Find the other end and and solder the wire back together. Most likely if you follow the green wire crimped to it you will see that it goes to a relay for a starter kill. Pretty simple to fix. You're going way too far into this. It started before you messed with it correct? And now it doesn't.... it's generally a good idea to look over the area you messed with when things like this happen.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:26 am

600SX wrote:
Push starting doesn't use the starter, otherwise you seem to be on track.

Thanks, you learn something new every day. haha

zerepdivad wrote:
THat black/white is the starter wire. It appears to have been interrupted for an alarm. Find the other end and and solder the wire back together. Most likely if you follow the green wire crimped to it you will see that it goes to a relay for a starter kill. Pretty simple to fix. You're going way too far into this. It started before you messed with it correct? And now it doesn't.... it's generally a good idea to look over the area you messed with when things like this happen.

Correct, it started fine before I took the bundle out. And now there is just one tick when I turn the key.
And I think you're definitely right, because in the first picture of my last post, the Black/White wire is joined to a green wire like you said, and green wire goes to a black square (I believe it's that relay you're talking about). Could you give me a general idea of where the other end of the Black/White wire could possibly be? I looked around but couldn't find the other end. I'll have to look more when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again everybody! You're all being very helpful.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 am

That's some work you're putting in! Definately dedicated. I would of just bought some carpet, but you washed it instead. Good job.
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm

The other end will be at that relay as well. If its labeled the two you are looking for are 87a and 30. You will remove those from the relay and hook them together. Id recommend solder.
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:18 pm

VNG704 wrote:
That's some work you're putting in! Definately dedicated. I would of just bought some carpet, but you washed it instead. Good job.

Thanks! It turned out pretty good with the black dye, I'll have pictures of it up soon.

zerepdivad wrote:
The other end will be at that relay as well. If its labeled the two you are looking for are 87a and 30. You will remove those from the relay and hook them together. Id recommend solder.

Thank you thank you thank you! It worked!! I can't stop smiling now that my car is running again! I hope I can return the favor to you one day. I just cut off that relay and joined the black and green wires and violla, she turned right over!
Back to top Go down
Aco SX
Aco SX

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Hmmm... now my turn signals don't seem to work. Neither the exterior lamp signals nor my instrument panel signals.... I hope it's something simple like the last issue was bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)   Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things) Empty

Back to top Go down

Minor S13 Project (Interior, Wiring, Few Other Small Things)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next