Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.

Go down 
+2
240sxguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. Empty
PostSubject: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm

In 2007 Auto Meter bought Stack ltd.
http://www.autometer.com/media_newsarticle.aspx?yr=0&mo=0&pg=4&aid=76
They bought a company that made this:
Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. SGG-ST8130P-0410
After some time, Auto Meter starts selling this (albeit cheaper):
Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. Mfdl_top_image
My response is filmed here:

I'm curious how the mixed crowd here feels about this. I posted this on thejdm and being that the site is pretty focused on style, predictably there wasn't much discussion, rather a lot of agreement.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I love it, having to stuff 10 gauges somewhere in your car to be able to monitor things closely is just retarded.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

I agree, Autometer makes great products, don't really see how this is a "bad" thing for anyone short of maybe the "JDM fanyboys" who don't like to say they have an autometer product.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:53 pm

I tried to find the stuff via google. Ill bet Stack got a good price for the company and for longevity sake autometer should be a great parent company. I do like autometer gauges in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Flicktitty wrote:
I agree, Autometer makes great products, don't really see how this is a "bad" thing for anyone short of maybe the "JDM fanyboys" who don't like to say they have an autometer product.
Aesthetics? It's not at all about the Auto Meter brand, throw that on there, no problem. The issue is they changed the look of the meter, and made it very Nascar and less classic motorsport.

People wouldn't be pleased if their Lamborghini had VW badges all over it, but does that make them "elitist"?
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

i was contemplating buying a stack unit...but then i found a good deal on the rest of the defi gauges i wanted. i do like the older look better. that pro comp bullshit needs to go. if they come down in price some more i might pick one up, but for now i will stick with my defi gauges that dance around and do magical shit like make my panties tight when i turn my car on. it's like i own a cadillac or something........ha hah? hopefully some one gets that joke.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Looking at the screen pictures you posted leads me to believe that it's much easier to read the gauge face after autometer got a hold of it. I had a procomp tach and I loved it, it was very easy to read.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 4:07 pm

I'd run it...but then again, I do like to turn left.
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 am

77 wrote:
Flicktitty wrote:
Aesthetics? It's not at all about the Auto Meter brand, throw that on there, no problem. The issue is they changed the look of the meter, and made it very Nascar and less classic motorsport.

People wouldn't be pleased if their Lamborghini had VW badges all over it, but does that make them "elitist"?

i don't know if you have actually ever sat in a (newer) "lambo" but they do have audi radio's and climate control. pretty much the exact units from the a8 line if i remember correctly. (its been a while)

as far as the autometer version of the stack gauges, i say who cares? its a legit american company who makes products in america making a quality product at a better price. i don't see anything wrong with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 am

93sapphirecoupe wrote:
i don't know if you have actually ever sat in a (newer) "lambo" but they do have audi radio's and climate control. pretty much the exact units from the a8 line if i remember correctly. (its been a while)
Parts-sharing for common items just makes fiscal sense. However, these units aren't badged as VAG parts on the dash. I didn't expect VW to reinvent the wheel for every item on the Bugatti Veyron, but people who know, noticed shared parts. Takes away a little of what makes truely unique cars special.

93sapphirecoupe wrote:
as far as the autometer version of the stack gauges, i say who cares? its a legit american company who makes products in america making a quality product at a better price. i don't see anything wrong with it.
I'm not debating that Auto Meter making the product here doesn't make it "better" in a "I love America" sort of way, I'm with you on that, really. What I'm talking about is that changing the aesthetics of the part, not just sneaking their badge on it next to Stack, is taking away some of what made the original special. It would be like GM buying Pagani, and not just sneaking one of those little silver "GM" squares on the side, but instead putting "Firebird" on the back, and the flaming chicken decal on the hood. Car would remain the same, but it would trash the class of it. If you can't see that, you'll never "see" my point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.   Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles. Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto Meter buys Stack ltd, meddles.
Page 1 of 1