Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Engine Management/Tuning options?

Go down 
+4
Flicktitty
nismodave
mrsparkle
Riggle
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Riggle
Riggle

Engine Management/Tuning options? Empty
PostSubject: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Well Uncle Sam was EXTREMELY generous in my tax return, so I am going to use a portion of that to juice up the factory air/fuel setup on the SR.

Goal is 350ish hp (crank, maybe 325 whp). Basically whatever I can make and not have to build the motor internally. (Range seems to be 330 whp - 385 hp (crank hp)).

My goal completely revolves around 1 turbo, which is a GT2871R (.64 a/r). Great track/autocross turbo, plenty of legs for all of the events I participate in, but spools retarded fast. I would only consider the GT2871 or a GT28RS, but since they are nearly identical in every aspect, the slightly larger compressor map of the GT2871 wins the battle for me.

555cc injectors (Nismo/Tomei)
FPR + gauge
Z32 MAF
Tome rocker arm stoppers (yeah, still haven't put them in)
Cosworth or APexi headgasket
ARP studs
Maybe Tomei Poncams or HKS 264's if the budget allows (since I will have the motor apart anyways).

So my question to everyone was engine management and tuning options in the area.

For engine/fuel management there seems to be so many routes, just looking for feedback etc so I can research more.

Nistune
Enthalpy
Apexi Power FC Jetro
AEM standalone (rather not)
Haltech standalone (again, rather not)
others?

Was also looking for well known SR tuners in the area, I'm willing to pay to play. But I want them to be reputable with the SR and not just thinking they can tune just because they do Civics and Evos all day.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm

I'd go with nistune, anything that you can tune on the fly is great!
Back to top Go down
nismodave
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 pm

I SWEAR by Enthalpy Tune. Been using him for almost 10 years.

Plug and Play, and he gets 90% or better out of your setup, and very safe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
nismodave
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Go Apexi for HG, and skip the ARPs and get new stock bolts instead.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Haltech is awesome, but extremely pricey.

Nistune or Enthalpy

LMK if you want to get a turbo or other parts i'll try and help ya out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 am

power FC and switch to a MAP sensor (so d-jetro). Many cars have proven results with them. AEM is also nice. Haltech is the best of them all. But all are pricey
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 am

Riggle wrote:
Well Uncle Sam was EXTREMELY generous in my tax return, so I am going to use a portion of that to juice up the factory air/fuel setup on the SR.

You overpaid and uncle sam gave you back the money you loaned him interest free for the year Shocked
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am

Quite the contrary, full time student credits (instant 3500), that sir, was free. Lol. Plus the small amount i loaned him = fat.

So, i should be thanking you all for the small contribution as tax payers. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 am

Riggle wrote:
Quite the contrary, full time student credits (instant 3500), that sir, was free. Lol. Plus the small amount i loaned him = fat.

So, i should be thanking you all for the small contribution as tax payers. Twisted Evil

You could prepare for those full time student credits by changing your witholdings.

Mostly busting your balls of course! I am looking forward to seeing your car this summer.

Evan
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

240sxguy wrote:
Riggle wrote:

You could prepare for those full time student credits by changing your witholdings.

Mostly busting your balls of course! I am looking forward to seeing your car this summer.

Evan

I know man, I was attempting to come back with something Laughing

I would actually say you sound more like my dad than you want to know. Ha. Its a good thing BTW.

I am actually torn between spending a little less $ and getting an extra set of rims and a set of slicks to actually enhance my driving skill instead of more horsepowers, but horseypowers are hard to say no to.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 pm

When you say slicks, are you talking drag radials? My setup is officially for sale if you're game. I assume you mean hoosiers though.

Your dad sounds like a pretty smart guy! hahah. I sound like my dad too.

Also you mentioned getting your wheels re powder coated. There is a strong chance I am going to build a custom oven. Not a monster, but definitely big enough for wheels.

Evan
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Cosworth HG is just is good as Apexi from my understanding and cheaper. Nistune gets great reviews and gives flexibility to make adjustments for new parts in the future. Enthalapy is the most budget friendly yet still fairly reliable. And I have the poncams which are nice slight shift in power, but the 2871 should make up for that in the mid and topend I would think. Good luck with setup! And also from what I have read the 2871 can push the limits of 555cc injectors.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Unless you're willing to learn to tune it, buy what your tuner of choice can use. Since i know of none who specialize in the sr in the area, I'll second the mail order rom tune. if you go this route you'll just have to accept that it won't be the very best tune since it won't be dyno tuned. What ^ said, you'll max or near max out the 555s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Management/Tuning options?   Engine Management/Tuning options? Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Management/Tuning options?
Page 1 of 1