Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

flappy clutch pedal

Go down 
+3
Riggle
600SX
feyd_w
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
feyd_w

flappy clutch pedal Empty
PostSubject: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:41 am

when i push the pedal it just hits the floor instantly. i put new fluid in. bled it. and still nothing, i havent taken out the damper yet due to crappy weather and no garage. im wondering if i just need a new slave cyl? maybe a line direct from master to slave?
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:29 pm

How did you bleed it? When you bleed a clutch, you'll have to pull the pedal back up and it will feel soft. The other thing is pedal free play. You should check the rod adjustment between the pedal and master.

If there are no leaks, there should be no reason to change parts.
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm

^^ Where I would start.

But here is a quick break down on how things work and what goes into diagnosing a possible problem.

When the master cylinder leaks, it leaks in the sense that the square cut seal on the piston is no longer making a tight seal to the cylinder bore which will cause it to "leak" internally. Really all its doing is pushing no fluid because the seal is not square with the walls.

Easy way to identify this condition is to watch the master cylinder/resevoir while a buddy manually pushes the pedal down/up with their hand (not foot, cant get proper actuation). Have them pump it in smooth actions and watch the resevoir for bubbles. There should be an identifyable movement within the fluid.

Also, check the boot of the slave cylinder, it may be full of fluid and need replacing. Usually a slave will leak when its toast. Most likely cause in all actuality is the slave.

You should consider changing them as a pair though, since debris/rubber gets in the clutch hydraulic circuit and will kill them as a pair. Do the master now, and you may be doing a slave in a few weeks, do a slave now and you may be doing a master in a few weeks. They are both super cheap and this way you have a fresh new clutch pedal system.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for cheap OE parts.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Riggle on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 2:06 pm

You can church it up all you want, an internal leak is a leak. You pointed out a few great tips, I don't have that kind of time to go into all the details at work.

I've never in my 14 years of working on cars had to replace both the master and the slave, unless they were both leaking.
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I have plenty of time to type. We ran out of RO's. Very Happy

They are just both cheap, and for a 20+ year old car, rubber likes to fail. Its led a good life.

I wasn't insinuating you had no idea what you were talking about, I have just had my master leak on my 240 internally. Changed it out, worked great for 2 weeks worth of events, then had my slave fail right there after. Prob due to all the sediment/goop that made its way down to the slave.

Happened to my Galant VR4 as well. New OEM slave, worked great for maybe 6 weeks. Bam. No pedal, bled it, drove it home, mushy again. Thought slave was bad, parts warrantied the slave. Didn't fix it. It was the master.

VR4 was a 91, S13 is a 90. I think it just had to do with age/miles of the vehicle. I have never seen a newer car fail like that, so who knows? Maybe it was just coincidental?

I guess I was just trying to get the point across of cheap insurance for an old ass part.

Exedy slave: $7.40
Master: $12.76

So for a whopping $20 you can have a whole new clutch hydraulic system. Thats all I was saying good sir.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I agree about cheap insurance, and this is getting way off topic, so I won't say anything further. Smile
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 pm

LOL, whatever man. We are like the only 2 people who check the forum regularly, we are allowed to go off topic at will.

Just didn't want to come off as an asshole-know-it-all. I was explaining things so hopefully feyd_w would at least have an idea of what was going on with his system, how it worked, and what goes into diagnosing it properly.

Amended my previous posts to reflect that.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

The other thing that isn't mentioned is if the car is driven everyday and this just started happening, or if it's been sitting and he's starting to work on it...
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 pm

eh i just did an engine swap. not really a dd kinda an occasional driver. and i appreciate you guys checking the forums regularly and your input cheers
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 am

ok so i was checking out the master, everything looks fine from what i could tell, then i came to this. the slave looks like its out all the way doesn't it? i can push that in about an inch and then it just comes back out. or maybe this isnt out all the way?
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 am

Looks all the way in/normal position. The fact that you could push it in leads me to believe that air is in the system to allow that.

Is there no fluid underneath that boot?
Back to top Go down
traphikcod4
traphikcod4

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 am

When I bled my clutch it took me like 20-25 Mins of straight pumping the clutch till I got anything
And I was worried to haha
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 am

That's what I was getting at with my first post. It'll feel soft for quite a while til you get the last little bit of air out.
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

ok so the problem was the clutch damper, i pulled it off and everything was good to go, so i took it down the road and it started ticking........i was coming back to my house and shot a rod out the side of the block lol! first drive after the swap too haha
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

Last edited by feyd_w on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:30 pm

You missed April fools by a few days... you know that right? Very Happy

If you're serious, that sucks!! No
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 pm

like the pic?
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 pm

GHEY! I do have an RB block.....
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 pm

im broke like crazy, i have 16$ till i get a new job o_O hahaha well good thing i have a spare engine
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 pm

At least you can laugh about it. When my RB blew up, I didn't talk to anyone for a week!
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

When my KA broke I just got excited because then I had reason to convince the wife it is time for an engine swap. Sucks that yours blew up though.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm

It's all good now. It only took me 5 years to start the LS swap. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
feyd_w

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm

ah good times haha, now im gonna swap it out tomorrow, will be my 2nd swap i've ever done bevisnbutthead
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm

damn that sucks man, atleast you have a backup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
240sxguy
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 am

One day I will probably need that longblock. I have abused mine to no end, its a time bomb by now.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:40 am

^^ I'll make you a help of a deal... act now, and a whole bunch of shit comes with it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: flappy clutch pedal   flappy clutch pedal Empty

Back to top Go down

flappy clutch pedal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next