Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

S13 Front Pinch Welds

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ujsp
ujsp

S13 Front Pinch Welds Empty
PostSubject: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am

While I AM ecstatic that I am no longer driving a ghetto-lifted monster truck of a 240, I am also not super happy about my tires making frequent contact with that dangerous pinch weld in the front wheel well. Through minimal research it seems this is something that almost everyone with a lower-than-factory s13 has had to deal with. So lets hear it! Show off what you guys have done to take care of it. Pictures?

I'm probably just going to cut the seam in two places and hammer it towards the shock and away from the tire for now. Ideally, I would like to cut the whole thing, re-weld the seam, grind it flat, and undercoat it. However, with no welder on hand this may have to wait. It looks like the harness will have to move as well. Because my fender lines up pretty well, and I don't feel like having to deal with breaking all those tiny little bolts and re-alligning the fender, I would like to leave it on. However, I feel that with the front bumper un-bolted, I should have enough flex in the fender to get the harness up there and out of the way without removing it completely.

Again, I know this is common, and its been covered. I have a game plan, I just figured everyone else would like to share what they have done as well! Never hurts to have a few good ideas going into a "project".
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 am

DO NOT CUT THE SEAM AND BEAT IT FLAT.

Just get a big hammer and beat the shit out of it until its flat. When you cut it you run the risk of splitting the shock tower (which is not fun to fix).
Back to top Go down
ujsp
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Is this because the seam is structural and cutting it forces energy to the shock towers instead of through the pinch? What about cutting the whole thing out and re-welding it all flat?

When you beat it, are you beating it straight up, or off to the side?

^^ Taken out of context, this could sound really bad... :S
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Lol, usually i light a candle and get my favorite lotion. up or to the side is irrelavant when i beat it.

When i get home ill take a picture of what i did to flatten the pinch weld. Basically i hammered it in and up flat against the wheel well.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I wouldnt cut it only because the metal is so thin and a bitch to weld. Plus im sure youll find rust once you cut it and its a lot of unneccesary extra work
Back to top Go down
ujsp
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

^^ hahah thank you sir. (For the laugh, as well as the anticipated pictures. Of the pinch weld... not of sexytime activities)
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm

pinch weld in back of the wheel well
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pinch weld at the top of the wheel well
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
ujsp
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you very much for the pics! I'll go at it sometime this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S13 Front Pinch Welds   S13 Front Pinch Welds Empty

Back to top Go down

S13 Front Pinch Welds
Page 1 of 1