Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New member from Green Bay

Go down 
+7
thefreack
X1nom3D
theboy
Flicktitty
Lizmo
600SX
speed_demon
11 posters
AuthorMessage
speed_demon

New member from Green Bay Empty
PostSubject: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 am

I just found the forum by accident so I figured why not make an account. I had no idea this site existed..

Anyways, my 240 is a 1990 5MT hatch that is on it's way to a mid 2200lb wet curb weight, with the intention of eventually dropping in an LS7 under the hood.

Current weight as my 240 sits in my driveway with 5 gallons of gas, S14 front seats, steel hood/DS/Doors/Q45 brakes/KA/etc is 2338 pounds.

My goal is a 2300-2400lb wet curb with the LS7. I also have my own vacuum bagging setup for carbon fiber to make my own CF parts. Very Happy

Pics:
New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02538

New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02543
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 am

Welcome to the site. If you have any questions, I've already been down the LS road, so feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin
Lizmo

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 am

welcome!! what dale said. he knows his LS shit. hah.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 am

In case anyone on here is interested in an S13 weight reduction list with associated cost per pound reduced I made a nicely detailed one over on NissanRoadRacing.com.

Linky - http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2880

Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am

Very cool, i was hoping to do a major weight reduction s13 coupe in the near future. have any pics of your car to share?

how much interior is still in your car? Any HVAC stuff still? factory wiring removed?
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am

I have one single S14 seat and the front half of the OE carpet installed at the moment. I also removed my entire HVAC system along with my radio, I made a false stereo plate and installed a set of ford taurus DIN sized cupholders where the radio used to be.

I am currently using manual seatbelts from a USDM 98 200SX, and I have removed most of my sound deadening along with some swiss cheesing of the chassis. Nothing structural was cut or messed with so far, and I am down to the low 2300's without any fiberglass, carbon fiber, or aluminum parts.

Pics:
New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02490

New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02533

New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02548

Also, my carbon fiber supplies. I have a robinair 4CFM vacuum pump and a few yards of CF/fiberglass for part making as well.

New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02577

My thread over on CFN for anyone with too much time on their hands. Lots of info available here. Linky - http://www.carforum.net/build-restoration-logs/9024-speed-has-new-daily-driver.html

My photobucket picture log. https://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x409/speed_demon1/240SX%20picture%20log/

Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

are your tail lights actually still painted like the ones in the pics on carforum?

(please say no)
Back to top Go down
X1nom3D
X1nom3D

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:56 pm

theboy wrote:
are your tail lights actually still painted like the ones in the pics on carforum?

(please say no)
No.

I am running LED tail light bulbs though to reduce the electrical load on my alt. (I'm going with a 5lb race unit soon) and I still have yet to figure out how to have them turn on with my parking lights when the car is running. They work fine when I step on the brakes though. Anybody do anything similar?

A recent pic of the back end of my 240.

New member from Green Bay Th_DSC02583
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 3:54 pm

you do your own carbon fiber right? i have an idea for a set of headlights to replace the pop up that would look decent. instead of doing the overs like you find on egay i was thinking something simmilar to a camaro lights. what do you think? probably would also add to the weight reduction.
Back to top Go down
ohhhizzzy
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 pm

thefreack wrote:
you do your own carbon fiber right? i have an idea for a set of headlights to replace the pop up that would look decent. instead of doing the overs like you find on egay i was thinking something simmilar to a camaro lights. what do you think? probably would also add to the weight reduction.
I believe I have a picture somewhere of a headlight setup that was done on a 240 and modeled after an 80's camaro. It came out pretty decent, but there was very little weight reduction after all was said and done.

I am thinking I will just make some single layer CF headlight covers and be done with it. My ebay H4 replaceable bulb headlights already reduced a pound and a half off of the front end.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Did that camaro mod you saw have a separate enclosures for a high and low bulbs or a single dual beam bulb? Autozone sells a slim enclosure with a dual beam that would work out nice and be lighter than stock
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 pm

It had two bulbs on each side. I wish I could find that picture...
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:27 pm

wow you very tech. cool to see people doing there own carbon . is it cool if i hit you up for part to be done? hit me up let me know what you charge.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:21 am

Look in the tech section one of my threads has a pic of a similar idea. You can get a skimmed single dual beam enclosure that would save a lot of weight compared to the stock.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

hi and welcome!
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 pm

lssilvia wrote:
wow you very tech. cool to see people doing there own carbon . is it cool if i hit you up for part to be done? hit me up let me know what you charge.
I'm not taking any work at the moment, too much going on between working 70 hours a week and school coming up quickly. I will probably start a thread soon showing off some of my carbon creations. Nothing I make has an ounce of fiberglass in it, it's all intended to be super light.

This was supposed to be the garnish that goes between the door and the quarter window, made with 3 layers of 2x2 twill carbon fiber. Came out super strong and lighter than the original part, but my fiberglass mold wouldn't release properly and the part stuck to it in a few spots.

Too bad my mold release wax didn't like the temps or it would have come out nicely. This was before I found the wonder of vacuum infusion.

Sorry for the large picture, the forum wouldn't let me post a thumbnail.
New member from Green Bay DSC02587
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

yes thread please it will be my bible i promise , im a crbon fiber freak, sadly i lost the chance to pick up a whole interior setup in carbon fiber due to lack of comunication
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 pm

An interesting thing that I have never heard anybody post about online is that carbon fiber splinters suck, and unless you sand the edges very cleanly you will get a few splinters just from handling the part for a short time. The part above gave me a few nice cuts trying to separate the fiberglass mold from the CF part. Carbon fiber threads, when coated in epoxy resin are very sharp, very light, and very tough. Cool stuff, eh?
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm

mhh intresting , didnt know that
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 pm

I made a video of me cruising in my S13 around town here in Green Bay. Nothing special, no racing, no dorifto action.

I've been working on getting my quick, smooth shifting down pat, as well as trying to limit clutch slippage.

I know very few people in person besides my parents that drive a stick, so anybody have any tips on my technique? Nothing but slushbox owners around these parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWAfYF_f8w
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

1. Don't grind gears
2. Shift fast
3. If you smell a horrible burning smell, you're doing it wrong. Laughing
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 pm

if you want to learn good clutch control. try starting in 1st without using any gas. that will force you to control it a lot!

looks like youre doing decent though!

oh and FUCK SLUSH BOX GARBAGE!
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:58 am

Doesn't work. My 240 will not accelerate from a stop in first without any throttle. It will just stall, regardless of how slowly/quickly I release the clutch.

I've been told that before, and believe me I've tried many times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from Green Bay   New member from Green Bay Empty

Back to top Go down

New member from Green Bay
Page 1 of 1