Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thermal intake gasket

Go down 
+4
VNG704
600SX
93sapphirecoupe
s13.240sx
8 posters
AuthorMessage
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

Thermal intake gasket Empty
PostSubject: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Does anyone have any personal experience with these for intake manifolds? I was considering one for my SR, but was wondering if it is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I realize that it has been proven to lower the temps of the intake runners. Is that enough to actually affect the performance of the engine. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Dustin
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyFri May 25, 2012 8:46 pm

anything to help reduce knock is a good thing. it has been proven to lower intake air temps. plus most of them are reusable for life. so if you have to take the intake off for some reason its nice not to have to order parts over and over.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:04 am

They do seem to make a difference... maybe not one you'll notice, but there are gains. If they're cheap enough, I'd say go for it.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:26 am

Hmmmm....$30 or so shipped. I suppose it is only double the cost of a OEM gasket. Any other thoughts from anyone else? Thanks Jim
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am

I have one on my sr. I "heard" they are proven to lower temps and have gains, etc... They are also reusable.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:50 pm

From what I hear with the ka at least it don't help much seeing the coolant runs thru the manifold. So it will be hot regardless. I know you can run the hoses elsewhere but the one on the side of the head isn't re routeable. So the gasket only is good because its reusable. No real gains. So for 30 unlimited removing of manifold for whatever reason makes it worth it in my book.. and I say this after I put an oem gasket on mine lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 am

They work in concept. In a hot, unvented, pressurized engine bay I have a feeling you will find the gains are negligible. Not having to buy new gaskets when you pull the IM is nice tho.

The concept is similar to why composite intakes and VC's are so great. They reduce weight considerably, don't suffer heat soak nearly as badly as aluminum, and they are cheaper for car companies to produce.
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 am

it'll heat soak eventually, just take a longer time for it to happen.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 am

The consensus in here says, if you're in there already and want to, get it. If you want to solely swap the gasket, not worth it. But really though, if you've researched it, people are saying that the temps are significantly cooler than before. There are actually alot of posted tests online. Yes, the intake mani will get hot eventually but I bet it'll never get as hot as if it had the factory gasket. But I would stay away from the cheap ones. Not that I've ever heard of bad sets out there but cheap ones may melt?
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I can vouch for them being worth it on a ka and an sr. Its a not a gain you will ever feel. But on an engine dyno there is a 20 deg intake mani temp drop, on a ka, 33 deg drop on an sr. Plus you get the added bonus of it being thicker so it compensates for any defect on the heads surface.

Sr is stock with a gt25rs, ka was built with excessive mani. Let me dig through my shit and ill post the graphs. Otherwise google search it, im pretty sure JWT did the research on this and posted it on their site.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am

now im upset i didnt just buy one. i was like ehh didnt wanna wait for the gasket to come. should have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 pm

theboy wrote:
I can vouch for them being worth it on a ka and an sr. Its a not a gain you will ever feel. But on an engine dyno there is a 20 deg intake mani temp drop, on a ka, 33 deg drop on an sr. Plus you get the added bonus of it being thicker so it compensates for any defect on the heads surface.

Sr is stock with a gt25rs, ka was built with excessive mani. Let me dig through my shit and ill post the graphs. Otherwise google search it, im pretty sure JWT did the research on this and posted it on their site.
A 33 degree drop is huge! I've only heard 5-10 at most from other engines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thermal intake gasket   Thermal intake gasket Empty

Back to top Go down

Thermal intake gasket
Page 1 of 1