Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Air Oil Seperator

Go down 
+2
theboy
xwizkidx
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do they make something like this for the ka? opposed to getting an oil catch can this looks better imo. my friend has one on his subaru and i thought it was a neat idea. tell me what you think. oh btw this would be on a ka-t
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
theboy
theboy

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyMon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

All that is, is a small catch can, looks like if your breather system wasnt hooked up rite, youd fill it fast, and wonder why your intercooler has all your oil and your motors knocking. If your heart is set on that, then buy it, mount it low, and plug off a port. Im sure they have them else where for cheaper
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:22 am

theboy wrote:
All that is, is a small catch can, looks like if your breather system wasnt hooked up rite, youd fill it fast, and wonder why your intercooler has all your oil and your motors knocking. If your heart is set on that, then buy it, mount it low, and plug off a port. Im sure they have them else where for cheaper

its like a catch can without the can the thing actually screws into the oil cap. so the oil just goes back into the motor. i def dont wanna spend that much on something like that i just thought it would be a viable option at some point. the main thing is when i go ka-t again on my motor i still have yet to figure out the pcv valve issue making it so the boost dont hold the pcv closed or push boost into the crankcase...
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:10 am

Theres no pcv valve on a rwd ka24de valve cover, all you need to run for vacuum on it is a hose from the valve cover to the turbo intake after the maf. If your running a blow thru setup, then just run the vent hose from the cover to a vented catch catch can. And then somthing for vacuum to your waste gate, bov, boost gauge, and controller. I didnt realize that piece actually replaced the oil cap. But a ka could never run that without clearancing the hood.

Dont quote me on it, but im pretty sure ka's dont have pcv's. At least the last the last 3 de's i had didnt.
Back to top Go down
theboy
theboy

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:12 am

And a pcv wont stop boost from getting into the crank case would only stop it from getting into the head. Piston rings keep boost pressure out of the crank case.
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyTue May 15, 2012 11:42 am

just buy this with the appropriate fittings.

Back to top Go down
VNG704

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyTue May 15, 2012 12:54 pm

theboy wrote:
Theres no pcv valve on a rwd ka24de valve cover, all you need to run for vacuum on it is a hose from the valve cover to the turbo intake after the maf. If your running a blow thru setup, then just run the vent hose from the cover to a vented catch catch can. And then somthing for vacuum to your waste gate, bov, boost gauge, and controller. I didnt realize that piece actually replaced the oil cap. But a ka could never run that without clearancing the hood.

Dont quote me on it, but im pretty sure ka's dont have pcv's. At least the last the last 3 de's i had didnt.
It's actually a cool idea but dunno about the hood clearance. I have an oil/air separator from home depot and put hoses on it, under 30 bucks. It's small and fills up quick if you drive hard, ie. track days. I'm planning on going with one of these so I can use bigger hoses and bigger catch can: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:22 am

theboy wrote:

I know there isnt one on the valve cover its on the side of the block. and is the same for fwd ka's as well. i kno. i have an altima aswell lol. Your talking about the valve covers hole. im talking about running something like this between the pcv to the intake... and leaving a breather filter on my valve cover. if the pcv is working correctly by pushing the fumes through it there should be nothing coming out of the valve covers breather. that is supposed to be an intake into the motor. one in one out... (air flow) valve cover ---->block--->breather seperator---> pcv valve ----> intake manifold (then burnt)... im trying to find a way incase of excess blow by the oil dont make it back into the intake pipes.. there isnt enough vaccum before the turbo to create the pulling motion. and i want to cap off the pcv entry ports on the bottom of the manifold so boost dont leak and or push back into the block via the pcv.. im just trying to make sense of all the searching ive been doing and trying to think things out. all im saying is i want a way to route all this without a catch can because imo i think theyre tacky and a mess to deal with. id rather have it dump the oil back into the valve cover via the oil cap. i think its a neat idea and works on the same principal as a catch can without the mess. and as for the hood clearance issue i dont think it will be a problem i have seen one of these in real life and theyre only and inch taller than a oil cap.. my hearts def not set on it for 300 bucks but id like to see if people think this is a viable option. i wish i had a cnc machine id make these lol
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:26 am

theboy wrote:
And a pcv wont stop boost from getting into the crank case would only stop it from getting into the head. Piston rings keep boost pressure out of the crank case.

the head (under the valve cover) and the crank (above the oil pan) are open to the same amount of pressure correct me if im wrong via the side of the motor... (the timing chain area) so boost into the pcv hole, past the rings, or through the valve covers breather will affect the motor the same.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:28 am

93sapphirecoupe wrote:
just buy this with the appropriate fittings.

as for that that works on the same principal as the air oil sep just pretend the top screws into the valve cover.. the can dosnt exist. all oil back into the motor and the air keeps flowing through...
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 9:44 am

Quote :
An oil catch can does just that. It catches or prevents the oil from re-entering the intake tract. A catch can is placed right after the PCV and before the intercooler.

this helped me understand quite abit as well. plus i learned something new but unrelated..

Quote :
The caking on intake valves is only a problem with direct injection engines. For all other engines that use port injection, the gas is introduced before the combustion chamber which means it flows over the intake valves and enter the combustion chamber premixed with the air. This action of the fuel flowing over the intake valves actually cleans the valves from any oil that make already be on there. The oil never has the chance to cake on the valves in port injection engines.
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:00 pm

would drilling and tapping the cover help all tho in my opinion u want flow to smooth and if it has to go thru a "catch can" to go back in ,even tho it kinda cools it i rather go directly in and out and skip the eye candy. just my 2cents im running a KA-T and im going full function as possible keping oil temp as my first priority and heat dispertion as well , get a clean route and if possible cool as much as u can without adding gody junk to the mix once u have a system that works then add candy for the toping.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:22 pm

What are you tapping for? Vent or oil catch can? J/w. Catch cans are more than just bling. You don't need "smooth flow" in an oil catch can setup.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

whats all this about tapping anything? lol
Back to top Go down
VNG704

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Lssilvia asked
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 1:28 pm

the only thing i tapped was my oil pan and girlfriend. lol

but whats the question then? im not following lssiliva then clarify id like to chime in.
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:47 pm

no what im saying is the boy said there is no pcv valve in the ka24de so if u were that heart set on the set up just tap the cover for fee and return.
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 3:38 pm

this whole thread is messed up and i don't think anyone fully understands what the hell you are trying to accomplish.

crank case pressure comes from blow by. there for it starts in the block. then travels up to the valve cover and out of the port on the valve cover.(unless it has a separate oil separator somewhere else) the pcv valve prevents a bunch of oil getting sucked into the intake from the valve cover port under high vacuum/low load situations. under the high load/low vacuum, the pressure can be released into the intake. if you are running a turbo setup then just run it in front of the turbo. everything will work out fine. if you don't then boost will not allow the pressure to be released and the only place for the pressure to go is out of your oil seals.

if you don't want to run a catch can then do it how it would normally be on a stock turbo car. other wise you will need to release the gasses in to the atmosphere. (which is what the pcv system prevents due to emissions) which oil will find its way out of with the gasses. unless you have a catch can to catch it.

if there is something we are missing then take the time to describe it in detail.
Back to top Go down
lssilvia
lssilvia

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:16 pm

and im done! have fun guys.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

93sapphirecoupe wrote:
this whole thread is messed up and i don't think anyone fully understands what the hell you are trying to accomplish.

crank case pressure comes from blow by. there for it starts in the block. then travels up to the valve cover and out of the port on the valve cover.(unless it has a separate oil separator somewhere else) the pcv valve prevents a bunch of oil getting sucked into the intake from the valve cover port under high vacuum/low load situations. under the high load/low vacuum, the pressure can be released into the intake. if you are running a turbo setup then just run it in front of the turbo. everything will work out fine. if you don't then boost will not allow the pressure to be released and the only place for the pressure to go is out of your oil seals.

if you don't want to run a catch can then do it how it would normally be on a stock turbo car. other wise you will need to release the gasses in to the atmosphere. (which is what the pcv system prevents due to emissions) which oil will find its way out of with the gasses. unless you have a catch can to catch it.

if there is something we are missing then take the time to describe it in detail.

What im trying to get at is this. the air oil sep in the first post in place of a catch can. i cant explain it in anymore detail then i allready have. simple as this instead of the oil going into the catch can it goes back into the valve cover via the oil cap. take time to look at what i posted and then you can make sense of it.
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx
xwizkidx

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:39 am

lssilvia wrote:
no what im saying is the boy said there is no pcv valve in the ka24de so if u were that heart set on the set up just tap the cover for fee and return.

there is a pcv valve on the ka. and this isnt a feed or return for a turbo if thats what your getting at lol this topic is gone south. lol
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 1:17 pm

well nothing like that is available for anything else besides the ej. afaik.

you could see what other cars the subaru oil caps fit on. or weld the same threads on to the ka valve cover, then just use the subaru one.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 5:24 pm

xwizkidx wrote:

Do they make something like this for the ka? opposed to getting an oil catch can this looks better imo. my friend has one on his subaru and i thought it was a neat idea. tell me what you think. oh btw this would be on a ka-t

In theory this would work *if* there is a port on the valve cover for said gasses to travel from. I don't know for sure, my car has never had a KA since I've owned it. As far as anyone making one for a KA, I'd have to say I've never seen one scratch
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:19 pm

all that cap is doing is separating oil from the pcv system. the top hose just runs back to the stock pcv system inlet on the intake. lots of modern valve covers already have a few baffles in them to do the same thing. I'm guessing the reason for this cap is that the subaru covers don't have baffles.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator EmptyFri May 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Or inefficient ones like the sr?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Air Oil Seperator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Oil Seperator   Air Oil Seperator Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Oil Seperator
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: