Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the daily driver

Go down 
+16
SuspectHonda
ujsp
VNG704
speed_demon
pancho y onions
chuck_chizzle
kouki_chee
93sapphirecoupe
zerepdivad
theboy
s13.240sx
600SX
lssilvia
ohhhizzzy
j240sxxx
thefreack
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
mrsparkle
mrsparkle

the daily driver - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 am

Somebody just cut/reweld that intake manifold for rwd use, if you want to check if you have a 6/7 bolt bottem end use this link:

http://vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html

also just go to vfaq.com for a plethora of dsm knowledge!
Back to top Go down
SuspectHonda

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Oh dang you're right I hadn't thought of that. If you need a clutch let me know! Very Happy I have a act 2600 with a pro lite flywheel and a street disc for a 6 bolt awd sitting in the garage. 96 miles on disc with no launches, 3-400 on PP and flywheel with 3 or 4 launches.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 am

Yeah if you look at the intake you will notice the plate were it originally would have had an inlet has been blocked off and the other end has been cut and fabricated to be a new inlet. I will take pics later.

The clutch and fly are fairly new they are a stage 4 with a 6 puck. So it grabs really nicely. I think i have spun tires at about 70mph.
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 am

Sweet mini truck. PM me your number or send me a text if you still have mine saying who you are. Thought your number was saved.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Sent pm and txted you
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Well the motor in the truck was a 6 bolt. It lasted all of 2000 miles before it shot a rod out the side. Pics will follow after work
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Ouch! That sucks.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah. It happened on my first delivery. I just need to replace the bottom end. It could have been much worse. I have a streak going. The last three vehicles i have bought i will have replaced the motors at leased once. Camaro, 240 and now the truck.
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm

JB weld it.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 pm

thefreack wrote:
Yeah. It happened on my first delivery. I just need to replace the bottom end. It could have been much worse. I have a streak going. The last three vehicles i have bought i will have replaced the motors at leased once. Camaro, 240 and now the truck.

Could have been worse?! I think this is as bad as it gets...no telling how much metal was sent where, stress/scraping/cracks in block, mains, crank etc.

Just put a used 6 bolt in there if anything. I wouldn't tear anything apart, period. I'm telling you as a professional that is a recipe for more $ and even less reliability.

Its all up to you, but if you are still seriously thinking about DD'ing this rig, you need to make the right decisions in keeping cost down and reliability up. Just "replacing" the bottom end will get you nowhere without seriously checking into all of the components of the engine. Who knows what the hack PO did to that motor, not the mention the sickening feeling of hearing a knock or something right after you put the whole thing back together.

You also might want to take that 16g off and put on a stock 14b or T25 (2g turbo), or else get all the supporting mods and get it tuned. But at that point, its just another project, nothing even remotely DD material.

Would it hurt to get a Toyota Corolla, Civic, Maxima, Altima, Protege or something to ACTUALLY DD?

For example: I have a 2001 Maxima, stock, salvage/rebuilt title, $750. Heated leather seats, Bose etc. Put in gas, change oil, go. It starts every time, and has never let me down. That is the definition of a DD. My S13 is my fun/project car, if it breaks, who cares? Leave it in the garage till I'm feeling saucy enough to fix it.

Just trying to impart some wisdom. Modded DD = disaster.
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Riggle wrote:
That thing will instantly blow up with a 16g (if it even is, looks like a stock 14b flipped) with a stock fuel pump.

It looks neat, but don't cut corners, or you will have 2 project cars in a hurry...

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 am

Just to back up my hair brained idea.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah i definitely am going to look into the rest of the motor before i call it good. I also dd my 2006 mountaineer. I bought the truck to have a fun dd. If i replace the motor no big deal it is a learning experience. I know that the bottom end is toast. Not going to use anything from it. This also means that the 240 is getting the wire gremlin fix and on the street with the de powering it. Sbc will wait it is not going anywhere. So i will take your advice.
Back to top Go down
Riggle
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

thefreack wrote:
Yeah i definitely am going to look into the rest of the motor before i call it good. I also dd my 2006 mountaineer. I bought the truck to have a fun dd. If i replace the motor no big deal it is a learning experience. I know that the bottom end is toast. Not going to use anything from it. This also means that the 240 is getting the wire gremlin fix and on the street with the de powering it. Sbc will wait it is not going anywhere. So i will take your advice.

LOL, dude, you failed to mention you had a 2006 Mountaineer as a REAL DD!

I was under the impression that was all you had (240, camaro, and Mighty Max).

I stand corrected on everything I just said.

Hmmm, it may be worth it to actually take that 6 bolt apart to see what went to hell? The head is prob still good no matter what...

Not sure what kind of free time you have (I have zero, so taking shit apart is not an option) or how fast you can get something apart (air compressor/air tools?). That would dictate taking the old 6 bolt apart for me. A direct swap with a good known running 6 bolt would be ideal...

I sold my running 6 bolt with perfect compression for $750 to just give you some perspective.

Best of luck getting her back to running condition!
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

so i got the camera out but with the light being crappy they are not the best.
the mountaineer
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1210

the hole
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1211

the daily driver - Page 6 100_1212

i plan on working on the 240 tomorrow should just be a fuse and a rewire for the positive for the alternator.
Back to top Go down
SuspectHonda

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am

Your 2000 miles got my 96 miles beat! If you decide to go with a new block send the head in for a complete rebuild. I've been through enough 4g63's to know better then to trust a head even if it isn't what failed. My head is still good with 96 miles on it after a 3 angle valve job and new everything but I'd still take it in for an inspection before it ever touches another block.
Back to top Go down
ujsp
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 am

Im not sure what you paid for the truck in the first place, but you could always part it out if you dont feel like messing with it. There's a few pieces in there that could go for a decent price since they are RWD specific/modified specifically for RWD use.

In any case, for you or for anybody else who is interested in 4g63 RWD stuff, this forum is the end-all-be-all for knowledge.

http://projectzerog.com/

As a side note, IF you end up parting out (not saying you should, just if you do) let me know. I may be interested in a few things.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am

That site is very helpful. I am not planning on parting it. I like it. I am going to build another 4g to drop into it. First thing is for me to get the 240sx out of the garage should not be too hard.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 pm

The 240sx is out of the garage and running like a champ. All it took was a fuse, alternator, and a tire patched. The rebuild for her is put on hold. I will be pushing the truck in so i can take the engine apart.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm

so I pulled the 240 out of the garage and have been driving it as my daily. the driver seat broke on the welds for the back section. so I had to go to a junk yard to get a new seat. in the process. I found a nismo steering wheel on a zenki that looked like it had seen better days.
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1213
it needs a little work to look pretty again but for now I am using it.
I also threw a voltage gauge in the car so I can tell if I have another alternator go out on me.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm

well my first deliry netted me an ass smashing into my 240. here are some pics of what it looked like after and what i have done since then.
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1510
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1511
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1512
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1513
then today i took a hammer to the dent on the side and a needle and fishing line to the bumper
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1514
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1515
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1516
the reason i stitched it back together and didn't refiber it was because i wanted to hold shape and i ran out of time. another day i will relayer some fiberglass on the inside and bondo the outside
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm

since the weather got a little nicer and I have been home the past couple days I have started working on my truck. or at least tearing it apart
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1517
I could not believe how clean the inside of the head is
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1610
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1612
the daily driver - Page 6 100_1613

I have found a bottom end for a great price so it looks like I am going to be doing an engine build.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 10:56 pm

This is why you don't use pacesetter head-header gasket.
the daily driver - Page 6 Img_0010
They disintegrate.
Back to top Go down
thefreack
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 am

Damn it there is supposed to be a pic of a pile of gasket parts. Guess I can't post pics from my phone
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin
600SX

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 am

It's there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the daily driver   the daily driver - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

the daily driver
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next