Wisconsin240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lssilvia
lssilvia

oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. Empty
PostSubject: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 5:23 pm

ok so this is serious please no i think or i read on line, facts! if u aint got one dont chime. i need as much data with facts as possible, so drivers and pro cuircuit guys or real time track input.

the ka24de is a all tourque heat mangnet and while turbo seems to sothe the savage beast and its a massaquist to a beating i find that i need to keep temps down at all times. this is data i have gathered if im wrong please correct freely.

at idle the temps should be in the 80*
and thermastat opens at 170*
when incorporating a turbo hitting 170* will be often with heat build and recurculation of hot oil from turbo.

so i have come up with a theory ,

presumably

an oil relocation kit would be used as well as 2 cooling fans and 2 oil coolers 6 lines and 14 fittings.

so relocation at the base of the oil filter neck will be replaced and ran to the filter relocation plate and then to a cooler powered by 8 inch fan , prettey standered , ok , so it goes back into the block and feed into the turbo ( here is were im not sure how it will go) it will drain as normal but it will drain in to an oil cooler with a fan so its cooler by the time it runs back to the pan. and will help increase oil capacity by 2 quarts. were im stuck is will the return be able to drain thru the cooler , is there any pressure in the return line from turbo to oil pan? and if so will this force feed oil prolong life in the ka24deT.

the idea is to keep oil temps as low as possible under boost and at idle so if i can drop 25* thru cycle and 10* to 15* hitting boost it will never move past 45% heat thresh hold. there for allowing the internal metals to keep there compouser threw the feeding of oil there for helping prolong seals and rings .

and also how could i improve cooling thru antifrezze re distribution in the block and cooling for return?besides my alum. radiator? or is that pretty much it?
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I think you are really overthinking it and over building it in my opinion.

Get a good cooler (Earl's can be pretty affordable online) You can get a thermostatic oil temp sandwich that goes between the block and the filter (if you so wish to keep it like that) That allows the thermostat to open and the oil to go thru the cooler, then back to the engine. For a street car that is all that is really needed, Much less a pretty modest turboed KA24. If you had a big turboed LSX/2JZ/RB/etc swapped S13/S14 i could see really looking into a major cooling system. But a basic oil cooler (no fan should be needed) will be fine. I can't say i've seen anyone run a inline oil cooler to the turbo, as i would assume pressure might be affected, thus killing a turbo.

A decent oil cooler and a trans cooler (provided you're keeping it auto) should be more then you need. If you want some added protection. You could look into running a meth injection setup those have been shown to help drop temp alot.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
lssilvia
lssilvia

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 6:40 pm

that may just be my next purchase , and i know im not building a monster but i want her to be able to open it up as much as possible to a safe limit and take advantage of the full motor build.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin
Flicktitty

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Oil cooler, Trans cooler, Good radiator,Fans (or clutch fan) and a good working waterpump, and a lower temp thermostat would be a great start.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
theboy
theboy

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Like we talked about when you stopped by man. Its not just the oil you need to cool. The cooling system is there to maintain temps and dissipate the heat throughout the entire setup. Flick is exactly right that your over thinking it. No need to cool the oil as it enters the turbo because your oil feed comes from your sandwich block. One thing i wanted to do different for that setup was run this;

It eliminates the sandwich plate and allows a better seal to the block. Which from the block you go to the filter, to the cooler and back into the block. So the turbo at that point is getting cooled, filtered oil. I still have that big earls oil cooler if your looking for something way better than what i gave you. On top of that i would suggest running a PBM swirl pot setup for the cooling system. It sucks any air out of the system. And cools as its doing so. Every cooling system has room for expansion. The swirl pot eliminates any air that builds up.

I ran one on the ka and never saw high temps. Now its on the sr. If you need help setting anything up feel free to ask. Im not really doing anything and can come out when ever you need me.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Looks like that may be a worth while investment. I may need to get something like that for myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.   oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return. Empty

Back to top Go down

oil coolin/relocation 2 stage cool down return.
Page 1 of 1